Topic- Legal Tortoise Price in India
Tortoises are popular pets in India. However, there is some uncertainty over which tortoises are permitted or prohibited to keep in India. So, after much study and analysis, I have compiled a list of all legal tortoise in India, as well as what you should know before purchasing them, in this post. To learn more, read it completely.
List of all Legal Tortoises in India 2023- Along with Prices
1. Red-footed Tortoise-
They are beautiful species from South America. They are medium-sized tortoises. Their skin is black in colour and has a shell or carapace which can be black, grey or brown. Each scute or plate on its shell has a pale colour spot at the centre.
They are named” Red-foot” as they have feet which have red colouration. their face also has red spots on them which can be more yellowish as they grow. They can live up to 50-60 years. And can weigh nearly 27 kg and can grow up to 13.5 inches in length.
Red-footed tortoises are one of the best pet tortoises that you can keep because they don’t grow too large and they eat a wide variety of foods. The price of a Red foot tortoise in India can range between 20,000 – 40,000 -/Rs.
2. Cherry Head Tortoise-
Most people think cherry head tortoises are different species but this is not the case it is the same species of red foot tortoise. Cherry head red foot tortoise is found in Brazil.
These tortoises are named “cherry heads” as they have red bright colours on their head which remains throughout their life, unlike red foot tortoise, whose red colour spots on the head might become slightly yellowish as they grow.
Cherry head tortoises, on average can grow up to 11 inches in length and can even reach 14 inches however, it is rare. They can weigh up to 10 kg.
The price of a Cherry head tortoise in India can range between 20,000-40,000 Rs.
3. Aldabra Tortoise-
The Aldabra tortoise is the second largest tortoise in the world just behind the Galapagos tortoise. These giant tortoises are native to Aldabra Island in the Indian Ocean. Aldabra tortoise colour can range from grey to dark black in colour. They have big thick carapaces or shells which are rounded or domed.
They can weigh more than 500 pounds or 250 kg. And have an amazingly long lifespan. No one knows for sure how long this tortoise can live. However, they surely can live up to 150 years or even more.
The oldest Aldabra tortoise to ever live in captivity was recorded to be 250 years old. They can grow up to 1.22 meters in length.
The Price of an Aldabra tortoise in India can range between 3 Lakh to 5 Lakh rupees.
4. Leopard Tortoise-
Leopard tortoises are native to savannah, Africa. Leopards are unique beautiful tortoises and also the 4th largest tortoise in the world. Their shell or carapace is very rounded and has beautiful yellow and black patterns on it.
An adult Leopard tortoise can weigh up to 18 kg and can grow up to 46cm or nearly 0.5m in length. On average in captivity, they can live between 30 to 75 years but with proper, they can even live up to 100 years.
The price of a leopard tortoise in India can range between 25,000 to 80,000 -/Rs.
5. Hermann’s Tortoise-
Hermann’s tortoise is found in the Mediterranean in Europe along the southern coast you know Spain all the way up the South of France into Italy, the island of Corsica, the shell of Hermann’s tortoise is generally yellow or orange in colour with black colour making on it and. There are a couple of different subspecies of this tortoise i.e Eastern Herman’s tortoise and Western Hermann’s tortoise
Key differences between them-
- The Eastern Hermann’s tortoise colour of the shell is quite dull while the western Hermann’s tortoise colour is quite vibrant and bright.
- When looking at the bottom, the western reveals an indicative trait in the form of two jet-black bands running parallel to each other along the mid seam of the plastron. These are often uninterrupted or solid, which is quite different to the spotty or blotchy pattern of the eastern.
- The Eastern Hermann tortoise is large in size compared to the western. Eastern grows up to 11 inches while the western can grow up to 7 inches.
The price of Hermann’s Tortoise in India can range between 25,000-40,000 Rs.
6. Pancake Tortoise-
This tortoise is one of the most unique as well as the smallest tortoises in the world. They got their name “pancake” due to their flat carapace or shell. The pancake tortoise shell is quite thin and flat.
Their bottom shell is quite thin as well. They are native to the rocky habitat of eastern Africa.
They can live between 25-30 years or sometimes even more. They weigh generally about 450 gm and can grow up to 7 inches in length.
The price of these unique Pancake tortoises in India can range between 50,000-80,000 Rs.
7. Sulcata Tortoise-
The Sulcata tortoise is native to Africa. They are also known as African spurred tortoises as well as African desert tortoises, Sulcata tortoises are the third largest tortoise in the world. To know more about this breed in detail like its price, where you can get it from in India, etc.
Read the article- Sulcata Tortoise Price in India to know more.
Things To Know Before Purchasing Tortoise in India
- First thing first, most tortoises have an incredibly long life span. They are some of the longest-living species in the world. Some can even live more than 150 years. So, before purchasing ask yourself Are you ready to take care of these reptiles your whole life? who is going to take care of them after you have gone?
- Initially, all species of tortoises are very small but as they grow some tortoise species can turn out to be very massive in size and you can not keep them indoors. You need to have a big garden or yard with a proper setup to keep them as pets.
- Most people think they are very easy to care for and do not require many things but, this is not at all true. Tortoises are high-maintenance pets which require a lot of care and accessories like enclosures, heat pads, basking lamps, etc.
- Yet, if you have decided to purchase a tortoise make sure to purchase it from a legal breeder with proper paperwork and ensure to register the tortoise in the Parivesh portal to get a certificate of ownership.
We have come to the end of this article ” list of all legal tortoises in India”, and I have tried to mention some of the tortoises along with the price ranges that are legal to own in India. However, I suggest you always do your own research thoroughly before purchasing any exotic pets, especially tortoises. And Always buy from a legit breeder with legal documents so you did not get stuck in any type of legal issues. I Hope, you found it helpful.
Thank you for reading!!