Flowerhorn fish is one of the unique fish and it is important to give them the right food for their proper growth. Most of the Flowerhorn fish owners are not aware of the best available food. So, we have listed down some of the best Flowerhorn fish food in India. Along with this, I have mentioned a few tips on how to feed your Flowerhorn fish. Please read it completely to know more.
Best Flowerhorn Fish Food in India- Buying Guide
Always check the ingredient of the fish food you are purchasing. Even if the food is from a top brand. Ensure that the food does not contain any harmful ingredients which can harm your Flowerhorn.
Fish Food to Avoid-
You should avoid food that contains a lot of fish by-products (fish skin, bones, etc) or contains grains like (wheat, rice, etc.) as their primary ingredient.
Fish Food to Buy-
You can go for food whose primary or the main ingredient is fish meat. or you can go for foods like dried shrimp, and larvae or can also go for live worms.
The Average Price of fish food for Flowerhorns in India can range from 300 Rs – 2000 Rs. depending on your budget you can go for particular fish food.
Best Flowerhorn Fish Food in India
I have categorized Best Flowerhorn fish food in India into 3 types. Food Pellets, Dried Worms & Live worms.
I have mentioned some of the best available food in each category.
I. Food Pellets
1. V aquaria Heart Mix Pellets
- Goat Heart
- Australian Black worms
- Protein- 64 %
- Fat- 6 %
- Fibre- 2%
All types of tropical fish.
- All proteins are from high-quality meat.
- It does not contain any type of low-quality filler(like wheat or any other grain ).
- It contains 100% all-natural ingredients and does not has any synthetic colouring or vitamins.
- It contains garlic which has been found to be very beneficial in increasing antioxidant activity in fish.
- It helps to enhance the colour, hump size, and overall health of your fish.
Only negative point is that it is quite expensive but if you can afford it I highly recommend to buy.
2. Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold Plus
- Fish meal
- Soybean meal
- Crude Protein- 45%
- Crude Fat-5%
- Crude Fibre-2%
- Ash- 15%
- It helps in getting your Flowerhorn its vibrant, beautiful colour as it astaxanthin.
- It has a natural living organism that helps to improve gut health.
- It has a combination of Garlic and Dl-methionine that helps improve immune, response, acts as an appetite enhancer and improves the overall health status of your Flowerhorn.
- Also contains various vitamins and minerals.
Some customers complain about leaving green colour in the water.
3. Ocean Free Pro Redsyn Flowerhorn Fish Food
- White fish meal
- Fish protein
- Antarctic shrimps
- Protein- 49 %
- Fat- 6 %
- Fibre- 2%
- It helps to enhance the colour and size of the hump.
- It has shrimp, krill and white fish meal which provides high-quality protein.
- It has spirulina and various minerals and vitamins that help to improve their growth and immunity to fight against the disease.
- It is natural and does not contain hormones.
Has little amount of grain in it.
4 .Foodie Puppies Wild Probio Flowerhorn Diet
- fish meal
- Krill calcium meal
- Fish oil
- Marigold flower extract(xanthophyll,)
- Crude Protein- 42%
- Crude Fat-7%
- Crude Fibre-3%
- It contains natural organic astaxanthin instead of synthetic one,which helps to improve the red colour of the fish
- Marigold flower extract helps to enhance the yellow or golden colour of the flowerhorn.
- Krill and fish help in balanced growth of the hump.
- The price is reasonable.
It contains Soya flour which is a questionable ingredient.
5. Ocean Free Xo Humpy Head Fish Food
- White fish meal
- Fish protein
- Antarctic krill
- One of the best food for bump growth.
- Ensures Proper overall growth of Flowerhorn.
- Helps to increase the immunity of the Flowerhorn to defend against diseases.
- There is risk of getting a fake product.
- Not so good for colour enhancement.
II. Dried Worms
1. Protyn Whole Dried Black Soldier Fly Adult Larvae
Dried Black soldier Larve
- Protein- 40%
- Calcium- 3%
- Fibre- 5%
- Fats- 30%
- Lysine- 6%
- Phosphorous- 0.7%
- Moisture -10%
Flowerhorn, Arowana , Oscar Fish and other carnivore and omnivore fishes.
- It does not contain any type of preservatives or chemicals.
- It is very high in calcium which improves bone health.
- It helps to improve or maintain good heart health.
- It also contains lauric acid in high amounts which improve immunity.
Makes the water murky.
2. Hallofeed Freeze Dried Tubifex Worms
Natural Tuibex worms
- Protein -50%
- Fat- 8 %
- fibre – 3%
All types of tropical fishes and turtles.
- It is a complete and balanced meal for your fish.
- Helps to increase the appetite and immunity response.
Few customer received used products.
III. Live Worms
1. Pro-Meal Live Larvae Mealworms
- Moisture- 40%
- Fat- 10%
Above 1 month
All the carnivore or omnivore fishes and other exotic pets .
Some customers complain about recieving small worms instead of adult worms.
Diet Plan For Flowerhorn Fish in India
First of all I would like to address some pro tips for rookie owners
1.Before giving any food to your flowerhorn, turn off the aquarium filter because if the filter is turned on then some of the food particles will stick into filteration system and may get decompose causing bacterial ,fungus & parasites growth. But don’t forget to turn on the filter after your fish completely eaten its food.
2. Before giving, soak the pellets in water for couple of minutes so that your fish can easily eat it especially your small flowerhorn fish and it will make them easy to digest.
3.If there is some food left in the water and if your flowerhorn is not eating them, then simply remove it from water and throw it and do not reuse it.
For Baby Flowerhorn-
- From- 1- 1.5 months At this small age don,t give them any types of pellets as they can result in a digestive problem. Instead, you can give them tubifex worm or dried blood worm.
- You can give 1 tubifex worm or 1 dried blood worm 2- 3 times a day don’t give them both(tubifex worm or dried worm ) at the same time. do not overfeed them.
- After 1.5 or 2 months– You can start giving them pellets.
- I suggest you give 1-2 pellets twice or thrice a day (depending on the size of the pellet).
- Also, continue to give dried tubifex worms or dried blood worms.
- When you are giving any type of dried worm then do not give pellets at the same time.
For Adult flowerhorn –
- Depending on the size of your Flowerhorns and the size of the pellet Increase or decrease pellet count. For e. g. If your fish size is 3-4 inches and the pellet size is medium you can give 5-6 pellets at a time. or if the size of the pellet is small you can simply double the count.
- Feed the pellets one by one ( use a combination of two different flowerhorn fish food).
- Spilt the feeding into two or three times a day.
- Provide sufficient swimming space for better digestion.
- Put one diet of your Flowerhorn.
- Feed live food like larvae two or three times a week one time a day.
Homemade Food For Flowerhorns in India?
There are some homemade food that you can give to your Flowerhorns in India-
- Meats- chicken heart, goat heart, beef heart, salmon, etc.
- Vegetables- small pieces of carrots, beetroot, peas, etc.
- you can also give eggs or if you have a garden you can also give earthworms.
When feeding this type of food water in the aquarium might get murky so, you need to have a good filtration system or you need to clean the water.
However, I suggest you give only specialized Flowerhorn food and can also give the meats that I have mentioned once a week.
We can conclude that I have given you a very detailed list of all the available food options for the Flowerhorn fish breed. I highly recommend you to buy V aquaria Heart Mix Pellet, because it is 100% grain free and its protein comes from very high-quality meat, so I highly recommend it due to its high quality but it is slightly costly. For budget-friendly you can go for Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold Plus. Hope have cleared all your doubts but if you still have any then feel free to comment below.
Thank you for Reading!!