Getting a new dog is always an exciting time but it’s really important to do your research. As different breeds have different characteristics and therefore different needs. Today you will get to know about a very wonderful dog breed that is Border Collie. This is the most intelligent dog breed among all the dog breeds, Quite Interesting!! So if you are planning to buy it then you are in the right place, In this article, you will get to know about Border Collie Price in India, amazing caring tips, price depending factors and much more. So, scroll down to read it completely to know more.
What Is The Border Collie Price in India?
The average price of a Border Collie Can range between 20,000 to 50,000 Rs. Price can be even more as there are quite uncommon to find in India. But, you may find them in the top pet shops or breeders in urban cities like Mumbai, Delhi, etc.
Factors affecting the Price of a Border Collie In India
A healthy Border collie will cost you more than a border collie which might have some health issues like a bone deformity.
Availability is another important aspect that might affect the price of a Border collie dog. If the availability of the dog is low it will cost you more price.
The price of a dog will be higher if you purchase them from a top-notch breeder or pet shop. It will generally cost less when purchased from a private breeder. But, It is always highly recommended to purchase from a reputed breeder than from an unknown breeder.
Colours and patterns also affect the price. The border collie with the common colours black and white will cost you less than the other colours of a border collie.
The age of a border collie or any other dog also plays a very important role in deciding the price. Puppy is generally sold at higher prices than older dogs.
About Border collie
The Border Collie is a pastoral breed and this group of dogs was originally bred to help herd sheep and cattle and help move livestock to market. As such, this breed has a powerful natural instinct to herd.
They are a medium-sized dog breed, their ears are slightly folded at the tip. Their body is slightly elongated that other domestic dog breeds. They have double hair coats which can be either smooth or rough.
The Border Collie is very intelligent as well as has lots of energy and therefore they’ll need lots of mental and physical stimulation they also love to let off steam so this makes them ideal for active households.
They generally enjoy the company of other dogs as well as cats as long as they’re introduced to each other from an early stage.
Lifespan and Size-
Border Collies generally live between 12 and 14 years old. They can weigh up to 13- 17 kg and the average height of an adult Border collie can range between 21- 22 inches.
They are extremely intelligent. In fact, they are the smartest dog breed in the world. And they are very trainable. They can learn things very quickly than your average intelligent dog.
Hair Coat –
Border Collie’s coats generally come in black and white as well as red, merle and tricolour. There are two types of coats smooth and rough. Border Collies do share a lot, though; therefore, they’ll need to be groomed at least once a week to keep that coat glossy and in good order.
As border collies are herding dogs they are quite energetic. and therefore they’ll need at least 2 hours of exercise every single day. Put it like this the more exercise they get, the happier they’ll be.
Border Collies generally live between 12 and 14 years old but like all breeds, they’re susceptible to various medical conditions and perhaps the most common in the Border Collie would be canine epilepsy which is a form of fitting or seizure as well as diabetes. As athletic breeds, Border Collies are also prone to a condition known as hip dysplasia and which occurs when the joints that form the hip joint don’t form perfectly and this makes them slightly more vulnerable to early onset arthritis.
Basic Caring Tips of Border Collie in India
1. As soon as you bring the pup, spend time with them be gentle with them and start socializing with them as soon as possible.
2. They can be noise sensitive and can develop intense noise fear. So, it is important to take out your border collie for a walk and familiarise them with different sounds.
3. Make sure to provide a healthy balanced nutrition diet for your pet. And always provide them with a fresh bowl of water all the time.
4. As an intelligent breed, they’ll need lots of mental stimulation and they really get benefit from positive reinforcement training. If you can train yourself, go for it but It might be difficult to train if you don,t have any experience in training energetic dog breeds so, I will suggest you seek the help of professionals.
5. But remember, as a working breed, if they don’t get this physical and mental stimulation they’ll turn that energy and intelligence into mischief as they love to chase as well as herd other animals, it’s very important that they’re well trained before you feel confident of letting them off the leash in the countryside.
6. Make sure to brush their coat as there might be dust or derbies stuck in their hair and will also help to detangle the hair. Be sure to be gentle while brushing and reward when done.
7. Provide them with lots of chew toys as they love to play with them and chewing these toys will reduce stress and it is also good for dental health.
8. As I have mentioned above that they require a lot of exercises at least 2 hrs a day. You can play games like ball fetch, catching a frisbee, or can build a play course in your backyard.
9. Regularly check their ears and clean them to avoid any type of infection also check their teeth and clean them daily or weekly.
10. And finally, if you see any health issues or problems in your dog immediately consult a vet. Even if your dog is healthy it is important to go for a health checkup every 5-6 months.
Diet Plan For Border collie in India
A well Diet is a must to ensure proper growth of any Breed of Dog Make sure to provide a high protein diet with moderate carbs and low-fat content. As they are a high-energy dog breed their calorie intake is quite high. There is a lot of healthy adult dog food available in stores or online which you can provide or can also give some homemade food which I have mentioned below.
Foods you can give-
- Meat(Boiled)- Chicken, Beef, Lamb, goat, tuna
- Fruits – Apple, Mango, Oranges, Strawberries, Banana, Pears, Watermelon, musk melon, etc.
- Vegetables- Cucumber, green beans, spinach, yam, potatoes, carrots, peas, etc.
- Dairy Products- Buttermilk, Curd, Paneer, cheese, etc.
Foods to avoid-
Young border collie-
If you have a young pup make sure they have high-nutritional puppy food. During their growing ages of 2- 8 months, they should be fed up to 3 times a day.
Adult border collie-
Once they have become mature or have entered their adult stage then you should reduce their calorie intake and should be fed 2 times a day.
Senior/ old border collie-
The border collie is considered to be old or Senior after the age of 7. During this age, their activity becomes low. They will be not as energetic as they used to be. So, because of their inactivity, they can get obese quite easily. So, make sure not to overfeed them, feeding them once a day or two small meals a day is more than enough. And avoid giving raw hard meat instead you can give slightly boiled boneless meat or can give dry food which you can soak in water for a few minutes to make it easier to chew. When going for commercial food for seniors make sure to consult your vet.
Pros and Cons of Owning Border Collie
- They are very intelligent.
- Due to their high intelligence, they are quite easy to train.
- They are very loyal as well as protective towards their owner.
- They are easy to potty/ toilet train
- They are quite entertaining and fun.
- They always need mental stimulation to keep them from developing undesirable behaviours like digging, and chewing, which are very common with this breed.
- They shed a lot.
- They are naturally anxious breeds.
- They have Ivermectin sensitivity.
- Can be sensitive to loud noises.
1. Can Border Collies survive in the Indian climate?
Yes, they can survive In India. But, they require care to live comfortably in the hot climate of India. Here, are some of the basic tips so that your border collie can live in India without any issues-
- Do not take them for walking or keep them outside during the daytime.
- You can keep them in the AC room or under the fan.
- Add foods like curd or Buttermilk that will keep their body temperature cool.
- Always keep access to fresh water.
2. Are border collies family dogs?
3. Are border collies friendly to strangers?
Yes, they can be friendly towards strangers when socialising from an early age. However, it is not guaranteed that they will be friendly towards strangers as they are herding dogs and has strong protective nature so, there is always a small chance they might be aggressive towards strangers.
4. Are border collies vegetarian?
No, they are not Vegetarian and should not be kept completely on a vegetarian diet. Instead, they are omnivores which means they can eat a mixture of meat and veggies. But, the primary ingredient should be meat in their diet.
5. What to do with my border collie while at work?
It can be concluded from this article Border Collie Price in India, that Border Collie is a very highly intelligent dog breed. They are the first smart breed of dogs. So, if you are planning to buy it as your pet then go for it as being the owner of the smartest breed is an honour feeling. They are quite playful and loyal. After being well trained you can also participate in many dog shows and dog sports competitions. Do buy this dog from a legal breeder only and do proper registration. Do follow the caring tips provided in this article to make the life of your dog friend healthy and happy. Hope have cleared all your doubts, but if you still have any then always feel free to comment down below.
Thank you for Reading!!